Friday, February 01, 2008

The People of Bath


Thus far during my time in Bath I have noticed peculiar goings on in the course of my ramblings. These folk of the western shires (Wessex) have many quaint customs and habits which are noticeable to an outsider. They use words like 'lush' which means 'cool' and 'gertlush' which means 'very cool'. They begin sentences with " 'allo my luver" and throw in plenty of "arrhhhs". The children when playing tag call home, 'the den' or simply 'den'. But one major oddity (which was brought to my attention by my brother) is that even in the depths of winter Bathonian males wear shorts. They wear them at the bus stops, they wear them at the pubs and they wear them in the high street. Builders wear them and postmen wear them and students wear them. When its sleeting and the temperature is struggling to stay above zero. Many young people wear a Japanese clothing brand known as 'Superdry'. They venture all the way to Bristol to hunt and gather these garments while the rest of the English-speaking world looks on bemused.

If I discover anymore anthropological faux pas in Bath I shall kept thee updated.

4 comments:

Hugh said...

Absolutely hilarious!

Unknown said...

How else would people behave who's home town shares a name with the dampest place in your average household?

You cannot expect these poor folks to stay sane for long.

Hugh said...

You obviously forgot about the first place I lived in Dartford with the mould on the wall. That wall was defiantly damper than the bathroom!!

Alex said...

Another thing they say is "Where are yer too?" instead of "where are you going?". Madness.