Saturday, November 24, 2007

Winsbury Hill

Yesterday I decided to go on a walk. The temperature was 14c and it was a perfectly sunny day with no clouds. I left my room at 2:00pm and walked to the end of my campus over the sports field. Then I climbed a stile and went over into another field which had long, clumpy grass and was quite boggy. After that I went through a cow field where the cows watched me warily. I then went over another stile and found myself in a shady grove of trees with a brook trickling past (picture 1). I continued along another path which got increasing muddy as it was next to the brook. Eventually the path was so muddy it was impassible so I squeezed through a gap in a hedge and into a ploughed field. I saw 2 hills in the distance. Because I was now unrestrained by the direction of footpaths, I headed towards the hills in a straight line. As I got closer I realised that the hill which I thought was higher actually wasn't because it had tall trees on the summit. In fact the whole hill was a copse (which I later found out was a pheasant shoot). So I continued towards the other hill which was just grassy. At that point I looked backwards and could see that I was already high up. I could see the city of Bath tucked between the hills. (Picture 2) I also noticed that it was moonrise and the moon was clear against the blue sky. I continued. After scrambling over a gate and sloping through mud made by tractors I emerged into a very narrow country lane with grass growing in the middle. The road went paralell to the hill I was heading for but I decided to go left as I could see the road bend round soon towards the hill. Soon I came to a cottage made entirely out of old-fashioned stonework. I kept going up the road- realising it was taking me uphill and towards the hill. Soon I came to a metal farm gate. Beyond I could see a steep grassy slope going to the summit of the hill. But the gate had barbed-wire on it. After coming so far I wasnt going to give up but I noticed that the gate was only tied shut with twine. I untied the twine and started walking up the hill. It was boggy at the bottom and molehills were scattered around haphazardly. About halfway up I got a distinct feeling of vertigo. I was getting quite hill. My natural defence mechanisms were telling me to get down on my hands and knees- more balanced and lower. I stopped for a minute and took some photos. (Picture 3). Then I continued up the hill. I got to the top. The chilly wind whipped my hair and my face and hands started to go numb. But I could see for miles. From the direction I had climbed the hill I could see Bath. (Picture 4) To my right were rolling fields. Behind me it was surprisingly flat as far as the eye could see. But to my left I could see the sprawling city of Bristol (which is 8 miles from Bath). I could see the high-rise blocks and the cranes at the dock. Beyond that I could see the Severn Estuary. And beyond that I could see the hills and mountains of Wales- shrouded in haze. (Picture 5) I was up there for quite a long time. I recieved a call from Bath leisure centre while I was up there saying that I had been runner-up in their prize draw. Eventually I came back down the hill. I went a different yet quicker way home and got back to the campus just as it was getting dark.

I later found out that the hill is called Winsbury Hill and is 165 feet above sea level.





2 comments:

robyn. said...

nice camera work.

Ben said...

What did you win in the Bath Leisure Centre prize draw?